Thursday, July 16, 2015

Wild boars. We've got more company than we think.

I'm on a short walk. Short 3 min drive from our house. It's a forest. I tend to think of it as a city forest. Tend to think of it as mainly "inhabited" by joggers and Sunday walkers. And occasionally participants of some big "event in the forest" like for mountain bikers. 

It's true, it's an early hour. Around 6 am. But that doesn't change the fact that when I notice the animal moving across the path in front of me, I'm speechless.  The sheer size if the animal I've just saw amazes. A group of wild boars. The lightness with which it stealthily crossed the path ahead of me in a little trot! I turned into a little path in the same direction, walked a bit and waited. Nothing could be seen now, but it sounded like several somebodies where moving in the bushes ahead of me. Then, suddenly, I saw them. Mother, size of a big cow but on shorter stocky legs trotting away from me. Followed by a single young one, as big as a very fat dog except that it had almost without legs, so short they were. 


The conclusion that pushes itself to my mind.  We share our world, our forests, with many more beings than we usually see and think about.  

No comments:

Post a Comment